Sunday, September 15, 2013

Reading Slump, No Leisure Reads

OK, after going on a mad spending spree purchasing books that I truly have no room for in the small room that I am renting out, I am also falling into a reading slump. This reading slumps seems to effect my school related reading first, but then bleeds into my leisure reads. The thing is I have far too many books assigned for realistic reading at my college. I am not a fast reader, so when I do attempt to read the book I become depressed at the amount of time it will take to read them all. So, what have I been doing?

First of all, I am what you would call an improviser. So, instead of reading the books at the unrealistic time frame that I am given, I only read the books that I have to read for an upcoming discussion question or paper, and then I let the others sit around until I have time to get to them for future paper or tests. Also, for books that require test taking, or multiple choice tests rather, I read enough to become familiar with the story the first 2-3 chapters and the last 2 chapters, then I scan through for any missing information. This is sad, but I am simply not cut out for this mad dash reading pace. Everything seems to be rather read as much as you can in as little time as possible with no regard to the fact that you have other classes.

For most classes, you get to choose what book you write about, so in truth you'll really only need to read one book for a give paper. At most two for a sort of compare and contrast sort of assignment. So, now that I have been reduced to this sort of frowned upon practice, (mind you I don't frown upon it) I will have more time to devote to my leisure reading. Now if I wasn't working a part-time job and going to school full time, this wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately life hands you lemons and you don't even have the water and sugar to make lemonade, sigh.

Now, don't get me wrong, I will be doing the required reading eventually. Just not at the speed that the Professor expects every student to read at. Anyways I suppose the best I can do here is leave with a quote that sums up my feelings:
"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done" -- Bruce Lee

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/bruce_lee.html#bSEecUTdLvphVUtL.99

No comments:

Post a Comment