Friday, August 23, 2013

Books and other things

Just left wordpress for BlogSpot, talk about complicated! Ok, so I am going to start the fall semester on the 26th of this month and I just can't wait. Today, I woke up early as hell! Actually, it was 7am, I wanted to wake up at 5am and crank out the words, but I couldn't be bothered. It's a really long story. Anyways, I will try my best to wake up at 5am or 6am and just stare at a blank piece of paper if I have to. As I was writing my story, I realized something. I didn't like it! Ok, that was 3 exclamation points already, I will keep them to a minimum from here on out. What I realized was that writing in the 3rd person for the book I am working on now, really isn't the way to go. I'm serious, but at the same time I sort of despise first person narrative.
Ok, so here's the gist of the story. It's a story about a guy that loses his mother from an illness and stumbles onto a procedure that renders himself immortal. He tries to get his wife in on the action but she commits suicide. He is alone for 300 years before he comes out of hiding to help normal everyday mortals. So, I was thinking that his portion of the story has to be first person, while the other characters will be third person. I'm really upset about this, but I think this is part of the growing process a writer has to go through.
Ok, I am currently reading two books so far. One that makes me want to read more books and the other that sort of sucks the reading life out of me. "Where'd you go, Bernadette" by Maria Semple and "Doctor No" by Ian Fleming. The thing is I like the Fleming guys book when I do manage to read it, but it comes with the consequences of not really wanting to read anything after it. Now I recently introduced Semple's book into the picture and it really makes me want to devour it whole. C'est la vie...
The next couple of post I will talk about my writing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment